Monday, February 7, 2011

Tate Britain

1)      Logo

The Tate Britain museum is a very unique combination of modern and traditional pieces. The typeface of the logo is very modern which relates very nicely to the building interior design of white walls and clean lines. Although, from the outside architecture the logo seems conflicting because the building has a historic feel rather than the new and modern feel of the logo. The collections in the museum are mostly that of paintings with some 3D sculptures which I think is brought out in the logo with its defined lines and a no nonsense energy.

2)      Ophelia

In the production of Hamlet directed by Nicholas Hytner, the death scene of Ophelia was dark and full of scandal and lies. King Claudius delivers the news that Ophelia has drowned herself in the river while in mourning over the death of her father. But, the truth is that Claudius had her “taken care of” because she was crazy and mentally unstable.
In the painted depiction of Ophelia’s death by John Everett Millais, Ophelia has quite literally drowned herself in the river. This portrayal is serene and peaceful in a forest area painted with ornate flowers clinging to her dress. To me this representation exudes that this was her decision and she was not “taken care of”.

3)      Display
The sparse arranged modern style of art is exactly that, sparsely arranged. All works of art are evenly spaced, at eye level, white wall backgrounds, and with clean lines all on a center baseline. This method of display allows for studying of the color and geometry details in the pieces. The minimalist atmosphere of the modern galleries has a cold feel but it allows one to really focus on the art without any other distractions.

Modern style of display

In the contrast with the modern style, the salon style hanging of art has much more warm and inviting feeling. The paintings arranged in groups and multiple rows which allows one to absorb and study multiple paintings at once. I think that this element of engaging in more than one painting adds to the mood of all works in that gallery. The very unique atmosphere of dark wallpaper and elaborate/ornate gold frames, I feel as if these exquisite works of art are on display in someone’s home. Personally, I enjoyed the Pre-Raphaelite style of the hanging because of its warm and inviting impression.

4)      Installation art
“The Coral Reef” exhibit was one of the most interesting experiences I have had in a museum. Upon walking in I was very confused. As the title implies I was looking for an underwater sea full of life but to my surprise it was just small rooms with furniture arrangements. I even asked one of the museum workers if I was in the right exhibit. The exhibit itself was very hard to navigate but I think that was the point. It was like a maze to get lost in, and I noticed some rooms were repeated to confuse one even more. For example the first room was repeated opposite the entrance (see picture below). As a result one thinks you’re at the exit but there was no exit. During my walk through I felt as if I was in a haunted house and someone was going to jump out from behind one of the doors. I was very apprehensive to open many of the doors. This element of mystery made the gallery exciting yet nerve-racking. Overall, “The Coral Reef” is not the correct name for this exhibit; I think Mike Nelson’s description of “Lost in a world of lost peoples” is much more fitting. Also, personally I would not call this art but I have never studied art therefore I’m not qualified to say whether or not someone’s creative work is art or not.

First room that was repeated (confusing as to where the exit was)

One of the rooms in "The Coral Reefs"

5)      Tate vs. V&A
The Tate Britain and the Victoria and Albert museums present two different experiences. The Tate Britain had beautiful domes, clean lines, both tiny and large rooms, and a variety of the collections. The V&A boasted much more elaborate architecture, ornate décor and carvings, and exudes a feeling of history, which I admired. I personally enjoyed the V&A museum experience much more. I liked the work that was in the collections more and the V&A building was more pleasant. I got the feeling I was standing amongst historically important pieces. Although, I do think navigation was easier in the Tate because of how much smaller it is. Since the V&A is larger there is a huge variety of galleries and collections from history that interest me unlike the Tate Britain which is smaller and I personally did not like the like the modern art.

6)      Object of Appreciation
My favorite object in the Tate Britain collection was from the Romantics gallery. It’s called “England: Richmond Hill on the Prince Regent’s Birthday” by JMW Turner and was exhibited in 1819. The painting is of Richmond Hill, England looking westward over the River Thames with a small party ongoing at the top of the hill (see picture below). The origins of this painting stem from Turner’s association with Richmond Hill and Prince Regent. Turner had his own property, Sandycombe Lodge, nearby by Richmond Hill in Twickenham. Painter Joshua Reynolds and poets Alexander Pope and James Thompson also lived in that area which is where Turner got his inspiration for the painting. In addition, Turner had the same birthday as Prince Regent which was another inspiration for the painting. I would return to this piece not necessarily for further contemplation but for admiration. The intricate detail, dimension, and how he employed light in this painting are magnificent.  

No comments:

Post a Comment