Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Tate Modern

1)   1)   Logo

 
The blurred variations of the Tate Modern logo reinforce the brand Tate has coined. Even though some versions are more pixilated or sharper than others one can still read and identify the Tate brand. I think the slight variations certainly connect with the range of art that is presented in the Tate Modern. Essentially, the Tate Modern contains contemporary art of different variations which then connects back to the logo because of its one typeface just adjusted in various ways. Overall, I do not think that the variation in the logo is needed because the average museum visitor would not look into the difference let alone notice the variation. Personally, I do not like the logo. I find the pixilation to be eerie and should be used for a haunted house or the London Dungeon tour.

2)      2) Free Admission
The fact that museum in the U.S charge admission I wouldn’t necessarily think that all museums are for the rich.  Many museums allow school groups in at a reduced rate and in some cases for free. On the other hand, many adults would not seek out museums in the US because of the expense associated with them. In that aspect, yes I do see museums as for only the privileged. I personally do not go to museums in the US because I have to pay whereas in London I enjoy the free entertainment and do seek out museums. The fact that museums are free in London I think greatly impacts the culture. Throughout the last few museum visits I have noticed many school groups and young children studying works of art and historical pieces; which I think is an excellent way to broaden horizons and open children’s minds to a range of possibilities. I feel that all Londoners (not just the wealthy) have an advantage to become educated on a wide variety of topics such as, history, art, world cultures (example: V&A), science, and also variety within those topics.

3)     3)  The Unilever Series


I believe that the installation of Ai Weiwei’s porcelain objects attempts to answer questions of individuality but doesn’t necessarily fully answer them. I agree that this piece is a powerful depiction of how we as humans are similar to the sunflower seeds; we are very much alike when looking at a whole but also unique/different as a microscopic and individual level. Personally, I don’t think I can answer what it means to be an individual in today’s society. That would be like asking, what is the meaning of life? We are individuals with ideas and ambitions on one level but to make a significant difference we have to act together as a whole to impact the world. One cannot change the world, they may try but success comes with a common goal. I think this is represented in the installation; one porcelain sunflower seed wouldn’t have impacted visitors as much as the billions of seeds did.  

4)      4) Display
In the realm of contemporary and modern art I think the lack of color and neutrality allow for uninterrupted and undistracted contemplation. I like the idea that the art on the wall is the only thing is your visual field, but in reality I find the white walls to be very boring. I prefer a break in color and more elaborate transitions between art displays. Even just different neutral tones between galleries would add excitement.  Generally, I think the white walls suit the Tate Modern because of the modern and contemporary collections that require this sort of uninterrupted and undistracted contemplation.

5)      5) Power Station to Art Museum




The exterior of the Tate Modern along the River Thames is a bit of an eye sore to London’s cityscape. I think the industrial and non elegant building was a poor choice to house exquisite modern and contemporary art pieces. To me this is ironic because I don’t understand modern art or its convention and subsequently do not understand the choice of an unusual building. Although I was impressed by the grand entrance but I thought it was rather dark, dull, and cold. Upon moving past the entrance I found the museum easy to navigate and really enjoyed the 7th floor café. The views of the river and city were amazing. I was surprised that the building looks so big from the outside but the inside felt much smaller. Despite my lack of understanding this building is a great setting for the display of art, I would have preferred a more modern building.  

6)      6) Object of Appreciation

My favorite piece was an oil painting of Water lilies from 1916 by Claude Monte. This piece is something that I would certainly put in my own home someday. The range of colors and technique of blending those colors is magnificent. This particular piece by Monte is not a sharp as some of his other landscapes. I really like the abstractness this generates. When you stand far away the water lilies are only slightly noticeable and the mixture of colors becomes clearer. I would return to this work of art for more contemplation on technique of the painter and why he chose to make this piece more abstract. I also would go back for simple admiration of Monte’s work.

No comments:

Post a Comment