Thursday, January 27, 2011

Repost of Last Question (last one my picute covered the text)

      My favorite object at the Victoria and Albert museum is not an object actually. I found the John Madejske Garden in the center to be a wonderful place to sit outside and relax on a nice day. Key word meaning nice day when it’s not raining.

But, if I had to chose my favorite piece from all the collections I would chose the sculpture of “Neptune and Triton” by Giovanni Lorenzo Bernini, dating about 1622-1623. On a large shell, Neptune is life-size holding his trident in a firm gesture of command, straddling his son the sea-god Triton, who blows on a conch shell. The interlocking curves of the two figures, and their aggressive energy, generate an excitement of them commanding the seas. “The sculpture was originally set surrounded by elaborate fountains and set above waterfalls at the upper end of a large oval pool in the garden of the Villa Montalto in Rome. There, Bernini fully exploited the presence of open air, light, and water” (taken from the description card).
At first I walked right past this piece but upon walking back through this gallery a few more times I found myself stopping to look at it each time. I’m not sure why this speaks to me. It could be my interest in Greek and Roman mythology or that seeing a father son team reminds me of my family’s “team” persona. I would go back for more contemplation to examine the detail of the sculpture further and to look at more mythical figure sculptures. 

No comments:

Post a Comment