Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The National Gallery

1)      Logo

The simple serif typeface suggests that this museum is simplistic and lacking dimension. Indeed this is not the case. The National Gallery is ornate and filled with sophisticated pieces from the most famous painters throughout history and also those not so well known. I think the logo is over simplified for the contents of the museum and the building’s architecture. The paintings in all the collections are beautiful and intricate and the building itself is grand with large doorways and impressive domes. Personally I feel this is not reflected in the logo. 
I do agree with those who propose having the “National” part being grander than “Gallery” but I can see the logic behind Gallery being the larger of the two words. Perhaps “Gallery” was enhanced in size to fit with the word “National” right above it. Generally, the logo works for the gallery despite its simplicity. Indeed the logo should be more intricate to fit with the collections but I do not think I could design anything better. Maybe that minimalism in logo was done deliberately? I also agree that being such a vibrant city the colors used in the banners should reflect that of the city. The single dull red color does not exemplify the gallery nor Trafalgar Square where this museum is located.

2)      Van Gough

 I very much agree that Van Gough’s paintings live up to their position in art history. His line quality wasn’t the greatest in “Van Gough’s chair” (1888) but I think it’s supposed to be like that and this is where we begin to see the cubism influence. In his other works such as “Sunflowers” the gestural brushwork is remarkable and his abstract use of lines to create a masterpiece with dimension is truly astonishing. Also, the subject matter in these two pieces is very different yet the similar. They depict different scenes, i.e. a chair with tobacco and a pipe versus, sunflowers on a table. However, both these paintings are of one object and focus with texture and dimension. As far as mood goes, the yellow in the sunflowers painting is said to represent harmony and happiness. Although the chair painting also has some yellow, it doesn’t illustrate this sense happiness. To me the chair is more or less is a realistic representation of Van Gough’s life; that is the chair in which he paints while smoking. To be honest I do not know why Van Gough has become so popular. Did cutting off his ear and dying shortly after transport him to superstardom? I cannot say for sure but I agree that his paintings are moving and influential.    
        
3)      Object of desire

Claude Monet’s 1899 Water-lily pond is a desirable piece for my country cottage. Monet is my favorite artist therefore this piece was an easy choice. I particularly like the abstract aspect when standing very close but as you move farther away the image then comes into view. He uses beautiful shades of green similar to that of the countryside and the gentle brushstrokes that compose the water lilies rival the beauty of that in nature. This would be suitable for my country cottage because epitomizes the country lifestyle of green grass and flowers.
This piece particularly stood out for me while admiring Monet’s work because of its central bridge. The bridge’s literal interpretation is crossing a pond but it reminded me of my own life. My personal interpretation is crossing a “pond” to a new chapter, which for me means crossing the ocean to a new chapter of studying in London.           

4)      Gallery/ Display
Personally, I enjoy the bright color palette. The contrast from gallery to gallery enables one to recognize the movement to another gallery with a different collection. I think the patterned wallpaper and ornate gold frames enhance the objects appreciation. To me this indicates the painting is special and exclusive. This way of presenting art work infers that I am in someone’s home looking at their personal collection. I think this aspect keeps the experience of art more exciting and interesting. My personal taste in art (classic and traditional) also reflects the style in which I like to see galleries, i.e. with a bright color palette and not dull neutral tones.

5)      Exploitation/Merchandising

Exploitation and merchandising of famous art work seems to be very prevalent here in London. From postcards, to handbags, to umbrellas I think merchandising does not diminish the original art work. If anything the presentation of art on everyday objects spreads appreciation and makes people more culturally aware of art. I believe that art should be noticeable in everyday life because not everyone has access to such galleries, specifically in the states since some cannot afford to attend art museums. Although this is not the case in London I still consider exploitation of art to be beneficial to this eclectic city.

6)      Object of Appreciation  
        
I liked many of the pieces at the National Gallery and will certainly go back. The 1833 Execution of Lady Jane Grey by Paul Delaroche was intriguing and caught my interest. The appeal of this piece probably stems from my interest in monarchy, especially the history of King Henry the VIII. The description stated Lady Jane Grey was beheaded on Tower Hill. In the painting Delaroche is depicting her execution inside, however Tower Hill is actually outdoors near the Tower of London. Therefore this is not quite accurate. I also was intrigued but the multiple facets of the people in the painting; Lady Jane Grey’s calm composure, the sadness of the women in the background, the priest’s concern, and the executioner’s eagerness (shown by his hand on the ax). Before I go back from more contemplation I would like to read more on the history of King Henry VIII and his wives, particularly why Lady Jane Grey was beheaded after Henry VIII’s death.   

No comments:

Post a Comment