Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Wallace Collection

1)      Labels
I really enjoyed the way in which the paintings were identified in the Wallace Collection. I agree that with the titles and artists names painted on frames that they feel more integrated with art. I also feel that the integration of the label allows for this gallery to feel personal; for instance as if your viewing someone’s personal collection. Personally, I prefer the labels like these because of that private gallery viewing aspect. Although, on the other hand I enjoy object labels because I like to know additional information about either the painting or the artist.
Throughout this collection I was a partial to integrated labels but when I got the European armor and weapons gallery I disliked this form of labeling. I found myself staring at the ornate suits of armor and intricate detail on the weapons and wanting to know more about them. For this gallery I would have chosen to use object labels outside the glass case describing the origin and composition of the pieces.  For example, there was one particular rifle that seemed to be made out of wood with detailed images of dogs in white. I would have like to have known what the white was made out of and which century this would have been used in.

2)      Object of Appreciation
There were many paintings I enjoyed in this collection but one that stood out to me the most was Govaert Flinck’s “A Young Archer”. I noticed it was the darkest painting on the wall in an already dark room. The painting is of a young African boy on a plain and dull background, richly attired in hunting garb, with a bow clenched in his right hand, a bag of arrows slung over his left shoulder. Only the intricate metal fastenings of the bag strap are highlighted, in contrast to the dullness of the boy's jacket. I sat and contemplated the artist choice of dull colors, particularly the background because this was a depiction of a dark African boy whom which did not stand out in any way. Questions of racism, class, and sensitivity to the subject came to mind. I have no answer to these questions but only appreciation for what this piece is: a work of art.          
          
3)      Object of excessiveness/ ornamentation
While there were many paintings I could have to chosen because of their intricate detailing, I decided to choose a piece of furniture, a “Coffer on Stand” manner of Andre-Charles Boulle. It is made of oak, pine wood, brass, turtleshell, gilt bronze, and ebony and black leather tolled with gold. Now these materials used to construct, what appears to be a chest, seems a bit outrageous. I don’t disagree that this piece is beautiful; the ornate detailing of the flowers, vines, and faces are fantastic and must have taken a long time to create. However, this piece of furniture is a wee bit excessive in terms of appeal even for royal standards.

4)      Favorite Museum
My first instinct would be to say The Science Museum was my favorite because of my science background. Upon further reflection of the semester I found myself realizing I liked many of the art galleries also. In fact I could not choose just one museum, my favorites were the British Museum and the Saatchi Gallery. I enjoyed the British Museum because of all the historical artifacts. I was amazed in every gallery I went into and also learned a wealth of knowledge. I could possibly spend days there and never get bored. There were just so many pieces of historical importance that I could not help myself and read each object label. I also enjoyed the Saatchi Gallery because the art within the collection was unlike that I have even seen before, but in a good way. I really liked that we had a guide to tell us about certain pieces. This allowed me to understand and appreciate the artist even more for their work and creativity.

5)      Museum Interest
Thanks to Steven Driscoll Hixson I absolutely have a greater interest in visiting museums.  Before taking this class I never would have gone into any museum, let alone an art gallery. I was completely intimidated and quite honestly didn’t care about art. Now, I don’t feel intimidated by museums or art and I’m planning on going to the Chazen Museum when I get back to Madison. I’ve been at Madison for three years and will finally visit the Chazen. I think that being in London and Europe in general has given me a greater appreciation for art; especially since I’ve been so fortunate to see pieces by such famous artists at the National Gallery and up and coming artist like at the Saatchi. I’m not sure if I have a greater interest in branding and graphic design since taking this class I know I have a greater appreciation for those who work hard to create logos and graphics. I am also more aware of the brand, its significance, and how unique it is. For example, I was walking in Soho near Covent Garden a few weeks ago and I saw a unique typeface and color palate for the restaurant Byron and I thought to myself “Wow, that’s really unique for a chain restaurant. I wonder what Steven would think.”

6)      Additional Comments
Thank you Steven Driscoll Hixson for a great semester! You have opened my eyes to a new world of art that I (a nerdy science geek) previously ignored. I will take your lessons of Helvetica, color palates, branding, and logos with me where I eat, shop, and live and think to myself “I wonder what Steven would think of this hideous (or awesome) typeface”.                       

No comments:

Post a Comment